Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Newest creation from start to finish

Here's my newest. I started it a couple of days ago. First step was to gesso both sides of the illustration board and apply some interesting texture with heavy gesso and modeling paste using a pallet knife. After drying overnight, I masked off areas in random but pleasing manner. I just "zoned out" listened to the music and taped off some interesting shapes. I then applied some color. Started out with primary yellows and reds and blues and let it dry again overnight. I then removed the tape and added more color and blended it in. Now the hard part...I tinkered with it all day adding and outlining and rubing with alcohol to remove top layers of paint and expose under colors. Finally adding some highlight colors of copper and bronze. The hard part at this point is to know when to stop and to not reach that overworked look. I tried to maintain the look of a spontaneous mix of colors and shapes even though it took me three days.

What do you think? Is it finished? I need a name for it. I'm thinking about matting and framing it under glass. It'll be huge...the board is 30 x 40.

1 comment: